Home Forums MTHFR Support Forum General Discussion Newly diagnosed – Seeking help

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am a 23 year old single mother from Queensland, Australia. After suffering from clinical depression since I was 9 and anxiety from 16, I had exhausted every treatment option, natural, alternative, medical or otherwise. I had a break in my depression during pregnancy and for about a year after, but after quitting Gluten due to my son’s intolerance my anxiety went away and my depression returned. I have since been seeing a naturopath, hypnotherapist, doctor and counsellor to help me through. After 6 months and $4,000 on the naturopath alone I could no longer afford her help and am now in a rut. No doctors close to me understand the MTHFR deformity, I’m not even sure I do. I can’t cope with my son, I’m failing my study and I am getting so depressed and angry that I’m scared for our lives. I can’t keep living like this anymore, I’m hoping someone on here could point me in the direction of some help or treatment options.

My test says that I have two deformed C677T genes and I only received this diagnoses a few months ago so know very little about it. I was also diagnosed as asperges last year and have no family support so would appreciate any help I can get.

Istvan
    Participant

You should have your neurotransmitters checked. Sometimes the benefits of going gluten free can outweigh the risks and sometimes it can’t. A brain of an Asperger’s person is physically different than an NT-s. I highly suggest testing dopamine levels specifically and I do feel that this could be significant despite the MTHFR gene.

As for MTHFR I suggest reading our FAQ: https://www.facebook.com/notes/mthfr-support/faq/774091042609135

Lea
    Participant

I have had my neurotransmitters tested. Here are my results;
    serotonin 163.4 (Optimal Range 200-415)
    GABA 403.8 (Optimal Range 600-1100)
    Dopmaine 15.7 (Optimal Range 250-400)
    Noradrenalin 2.8 (Optimal Range 30-50)
    Adrenalin 1.6 (Optimal Range 10-15)
    Glutamate 32.1 (Optimal Range 5-10)

Though this was taken 3-4 months ago and I have since had several relapses of depression and even some recreational drug use.

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Hi Lea, You likely have GI issues and not absorbing amino acids well. I can’t diagnose with out knowing more, but I suggest that you take some upper GI support (Pancreatin with Ox Bile from Vital Nutrients with food With every meal that includes fats/animal protein
    – Pancreatin with Ox Bile Extract; start with one cap and move to two with meals that include fat/animal protein. (Gallbladder and pancreatic support) http://www.vitalnutrients.net/Products/Product.aspx?ID=117
    Authorization Code: 0648

You will need to register to gain account and order) and address adrenals.

The conversion between dopamine to nor-dpi and epi requires SAMe and Cortisol, so you may need a bit of SAMe. I think that your adrenals are pooped out and you are not making enough cortisol. Consider taking B5 twice per day along with Ashwaganda. Both before breakfast and dinner. Cynthia

katelyn325
    Participant

Hi Lea,

I suffered major depressive disorder and have the same exact mutation of my MTHFR gene as you do. For me, it got better when I started taking B vitamins and Deplin. Deplin is L-methylfolate in its purest form. As my doctor explained to me, the mutation in the MTHFR gene causes problems in our bodies because we cannot turn folic acid into L-methylfolate. It’s the L-methylfolate that’s needed to bring us dopamine, neuropenephrine (SP?) and serotonin, chemicals incredibly important in regulating mood. I hope this helps you a little. If it’s anything, please know that you are not struggling alone and please try to stay strong for you and your soon. You can do this, Lea!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Newly diagnosed – Seeking help’ is closed to new replies.