Home Forums MTHFR Support Forum Ask a Practitioner (closed) Gluten, Celiac and the HLA result

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi There

I am a little confused about the HLA rs2858331 result, I am homozygous for it (“red”) yet I have tested my DQ2 and DQ8 genes and these were normal.

Does this result just look at SNP’s associated with gluten sensitivity and celiac? So even though I don’t have the genes that are associated with these conditions I do have the SNP’s associated with them?

Many thanks for any help

Sterling Hill Erdei
    Keymaster

I do not have any of the run of the mill celiac SNPs but am definitely gluten intolerant via testing. There are 20,000,000 SNPs in the human body and those are the typical snps tested. We have a few out there that are not in the everyday testing that are associated with gluten intolerance and celiacs. CTLA4 under thyroid and STAT4 under other immune factors and even the HLA’s under Allergy/mold.

Andrewdoc74
    Participant

Thanks for reply, from the paper the link in the report takes me too if I am reading it right it does say it looks at all the common SNP’s associated with celiac etc. As there are 5% of people who don’t have DQ2 and DQ8 (about 5%) I am guessing this is what the report is picking up? the “rarer” 5% via SNP results….

Sterling Hill Erdei
    Keymaster

There are multiple SNPs not even on the radar yet for celiacs. Some are coming up with celiacs that do not even have any of these SNPs. 20,000,000 SNPs in the human body and we are at the beginning of this.

Sterling

Andrewdoc74
    Participant

Thanks Sterling, will be interesting to watch all this as the science unfolds

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

In general, HLA SNPs are an indicator for auto-immune issues. The more HLA SNPs (especially in conjunction with IgA SNPs) the high chances of auto-immune. Why, because HLA SNPs indicate the immune systems ability to differentiate a friend or a foe. More HLA SNPs, more aggressive and less likely to be able to differentiate. German ancestry and Eastern European seem to carry most. In Neanderthal time, this was a good thing; today, not so much. HLA SNPs are on chromosome 6 in the HLA MHC complex. Cynthia

Andrewdoc74
    Participant

Thanks for this extra info Cynthia – very very useful to me

lmcgaha
    Participant

Andrewdoc74,

rs2858331 and its role in celiac or gluten sensitivity is discussed in this paper: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0002270. The presence of rs2858331 (C) and rs4988889 (T) together determined DQ 2.2, and the presence of rs2858331 (T) and rs4988889 (T) together determined DQ 2.5. rs2858331 by itself is insufficient to determine risk.

Andrewdoc74
    Participant

Thanks Imcgaha – very useful

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Ask a Practitioner (closed)’ is closed to new topics and replies.